Overwhelmed by negativity? This 21 Day Plan Can Help
Let’s be honest, sometimes life is hard — that business call didn’t go well, your partner hurt you, whatever it is you struggle with in daily life, it’s easy to let disappointments add up and change your mindset. When things seem to go in every other direction except the one you want, you probably feel like giving up. It’s easy to let even the smallest setback snowball into negative thinking and if it’s a big setback, negativity can be the first stop on a downward spiral.
But you don’t have to let negativity run rampant, in addition to the plan outlined below, this podcast, with Andro Donovan, author of “Motivate Yourself” is a start on your road to more positive thoughts and a happier life.
Wherever you begin, keep in mind that even huge challenges and obstacles are only temporary — “this too shall pass”. With a positive mindset, you can lay the foundation for an overall healthier life and you’ll be more resilient when life goes awry.
So how can you be more positive?
If you want to be a high-achiever, your only option is to eliminate negative thinking. You’re only as successful as the effort you put into making positive changes. So read the following steps and commit to working through them during the next 21 days — all the tools you need are in the palm of your hand.
Commit to doing this for 21 days:
1. Confront your disappointments. Avoid sweeping disappointments under the rug, even if you’d rather not face them. When you ignore them, the feelings that come along with being disappointed continue to linger and you lose the opportunity to learn about yourself.
- You owe it to yourself to free your mind. Latching on to disappointments holds you back from pursuing other opportunities. Letting go clears mental space for positive experiences.
- Look at each challenge as a stepping stone to becoming more successful later on.
2. Reflect on your achievements. Spend a moment each day making note of your achievements.* Even include the smallest ones you can think of. Remember that the greatest architectural structures are built with the smallest blocks of stone.
- When you stop to think about it, you realize how many little things cause you to smile each day. Those small accomplishments mean a lot, even if the impact doesn’t seem far-reaching at the time.
- Avoid allowing disappointments to diminish the joy of your achievements. You deserve every good thing in life. Remind yourself of that every day.
3. Center yourself spiritually. Spiritual balance is important to ensuring inner peace. This leads to positive living. When you’re at ease with what’s happening in your life, it’s difficult for disappointments to take control of you.
- Spiritual peace is the glue that holds this unpredictable world together. It’s what allows you to be more accepting of situations at the end of each day.
- Take time each day to connect with your inner self. Pay attention to the emotions, acknowledge them and move on from them. Allow yourself to achieve emotional healing.
4. Surround yourself with positivity. Positive influences help to build your new mindset. Make a special effort each day to see and converse with people who bring only the best to your encounter.
- Having your family and friends around can remind you of how beautiful life can be. Their support can make a world of difference in your life — reach out, no matter how far away they are.
- The basic idea is to make these adjustments every day for 21 days. It takes 21 days for habits to form, whether good or bad. Your aim is to form positive habits and use them to build a happy life.
On day 22, you’ll realize how much you yearn to do everything you practiced for the last 21 days. You’ll find yourself wanting to implement your new standards of positive living. And that’s when you know that you’ve created a positive thinker with all the promise in the world!
Remember, if need help with a specific question, or area of your life, this can be a great tool for achieving clarity so you can start being more positive today!