Morning routines have become quite popular over the last few years. They’re great for getting the day started in a productive way. After all, if your morning runs smoothly, your day tends to go well. An effective evening routine can be just as important as a routine at the beginning of the day. The things we do before sleep have an impact, too.
Implement these simple evening tasks and boost your success:
1. Make a to-do list. There’s little point in starting your day without a game plan. For many of us, getting started is the hardest part. Wouldn’t it be beneficial to already have a to-do list in place?
* Sit down each night and create a list of important tasks to be completed the following day. When you wake up, you’ll already be ahead of the game.
2. Review your goals. This can be done immediately before going to sleep. Your brain can spend all night working on solutions and ideas. This can be amazingly effective! There are many ways to review your goals. You can read them silently, say them aloud, re-write them, or visualize them. Doing all four is a great idea!
3. Read. It’s surprising how many successful individuals have a reading habit. You could spend time unwinding with some good fiction.
* A more effective option is to read something that will increase your ability to be successful. It might an inspiring biography or a book that teaches you a new skill.
4. Brush your teeth and floss. Most of us brush our teeth every night. Far fewer take the time to floss. Flossing is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself. The bacteria found in between teeth have been found to cause damage to blood vessels and heart valves. They’re also implicated in causing systemic inflammation. Take a minute and floss each night.
5. Spend time on a hobby. The great novel you’ve wanted to work on won’t write itself. Likewise, it’s doubtful you’ll learn to speak French by osmosis.
* Give yourself time each evening to accomplish the great things you’ve been putting off. There won’t ever be enough time until you make time.
6. Meditate or pray. A long day at work or even some time with the family can be stressful. Taking 15 minutes to meditate or pray can help to lower your stress level. You’ll sleep better and enjoy your life more.
7. Write in a journal. Record your life and it will become noteworthy. After a month of writing, “Went to work. Came home. Ate dinner. Watched TV. Went to bed,” you’ll realize that you’re living a boring life. Change it and get out of your rut!
8. Exercise. This is commonly thought of as a morning activity, but how many people do you know that exercise before work? Not many! Spending 30 minutes on a treadmill or lifting weights each evening can make a huge difference in the way you look and feel. You can even kill two birds with one stone and do it while watching the evening news.
These are just a few examples of the things you might include in an evening routine. It’s unnecessary to have an endless list of tasks to complete after a long day at work. But most people fail to use their evenings effectively.
You can develop an effective and enjoyable evening routine that will change your life. For the most impact, consider the areas your life that could use a little work and begin there.