All relationships face challenges from time to time. It’s not reasonable to expect that any relationship will be all unicorns and rainbows 24/7. Unfortunately, we don’t receive a lot of instruction on how to deal with challenges in relationships. It certainly wasn’t covered in high school.
But if you want to be in a relationship, it’s necessary to deal with disagreements and struggles that happen along the way. No one ever said it was easy.
Use these tips to heal your relationship and feel close to your partner again:
1. Return to the past. There was a time when your relationship was great. Remember those times together when things were going well. Remember your first date. Remember your favorite trip you took together. Relive how things used to be. You’re bound to return to many of the same feelings from those times.
2. Identify the issue. What exactly is wrong? Are you feeling taken for granted? Neglected? Did your partner lie to you? Is there something you’re doing wrong?
- Be clear with each other about what’s coming between you. Identify the challenge and you can begin to find a solution.
3. Schedule time together. Many relationships struggle due to not spending enough time together. The simple solution is to schedule time together on a regular basis. Turn off the TV and get out of the house together. Play a board game. Go see a movie. Take a walk in the park together.
4. Forgive. The issue in many relationships is the accumulation of resentments over a long period of time. If you can’t let go of the times you feel that you were wronged in some way, eventually, it becomes too much to bear.
- One of the secrets to a lasting relationship is a strong ability to forgive quickly.
5. Take a trip. Plan a trip together. Ensure it’s a place that you’re both excited to visit. Build some new, positive memories together. Get away from your current home and routine, and you’ll find it’s easier to reconnect with each other. A trip is fun and bond-building.
6. Compromise. You can’t have everything your way. Relationships require a lot of compromises. In fact, the compromising never seems to end. Compromising is a skill, and it’s not always easy to learn.
- We all have preferences, but they can’t be met all the time when you’re in a relationship. It’s one of the disadvantages of being in a relationship.
7. Avoid giving up too soon. Many people erroneously believe that a good relationship shouldn’t require work. This couldn’t be more wrong 99% of the time.
- The early stages of relationships are often quite easy. Everyone is on their best behavior, and everything is so new. However, in a few months, reality sets in, and things become harder. How hard are you willing to work to have a good relationship? That’s up to you.
8. Get professional help. If all else fails, get help from a professional. You wouldn’t rebuild the electric transmission in your car. Perhaps, you might not be able to fix your relationship on your own either. Give an expert a chance before throwing in the towel. It can be uncomfortable, but many effective things are. Be strong.
If you have a relationship, you’re going to have challenging times. It’s not possible to feel close all of the time. There will be struggles to navigate.
Fortunately, most relationship issues can be overcome if both partners are committed and patient. Give your relationship the attention it needs to heal and thrive. Good relationships are an important part of a fulfilling life.